Individual Irish Beef Stews
- 4 lbs beef chuck or round cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 2 quarts boiling water
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 dashes of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 small cans white onions
- 2 large cans Irish potatoes
- 2 bunches carrots, sliced
- 2 packages pie crust mix
- 1 cup flour
- Small Mason Jars
- Dredge meat in flour, melt shortening until it is smoking hot
- Brown meat and add water, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce
- Add garlic, onion and bay leaves.
- Add dry ingredients
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a medium setting.
- Cook slowly for two hours, adding water to cover if necessary
- Add sliced carrots, cook for 15-20 minutes on high heat, add potatoes and onions, let cook 10 more minutes or until vegetables are tender
- Prepare pie crusts as instructed on the package
- Pour stew into Mason Jars and cover with pie crust
- Bake in 400 degrees Fahrenheit until crust is golden brown
For more of Mark’s St Patrick’s Day recipes and tips, click here!
“Like Us” on Facebook and “Follow Us” on Twitter for more recipes, tips and tricks!