Spooktacular Costumes: Arista-Cat
Materials: White button down shirt, 1-inch black satin ribbon, oatmeal container, cardboard cereal box, black gloves, black fabric (felt preferably), black headband, black pipe insulation, fabric scissors, iron, spray starch, brass plated paper fasteners, Velcro, ruler, and hot glue gun
For the Collar and Cuffs:
- Carefully remove the cuffs and collar from the shirt along the sewn edge with fabric scissors.
- Heavily starch and iron the collar and cuffs so that they stay stiff and crisp. Also be sure to take out the collar tips before ironing!
- After ironing the cuffs, use two brass plated fasteners to make cuff links by placing them into the buttonholes on both sides.
- Place a small piece of Velcro on the insides of each cuff, close to the edge (to increase flare), for easy closing. Pro Tip: Use Velcro with adhesive strips to avoid sewing.
- Hot glue a piece of the 1-inch black ribbon along the base of the neck of the collar. Tie a bow with the ribbon and staple the center to keep its form. Hot glue the bow to the front of the collar and apply a small piece of Velcro for easy closing.
For the Top Hat:
- Take the cardboard cereal box and use a 9” plate (or something circular shaped) to trace and cut a circle that will serve as the brim of the top hat.
- Trace the outline of the top of cylinder oatmeal container in the middle of the hat brim, using a ruler and draw lines across the center circle to make 8 pie sections. Cut along the pie sections, leaving the outer circle attached so that the pie sections can be folded upward.
- Measure and cut out enough black felt to cover the both sides of the brim (two 9” circles) and the sides of the oatmeal container.
- Trace the outline of the top of the oatmeal container on the center of one of the felt circles cut out the center as one piece and reserve for the center for the top of the hat.
- Glue the of felt around the sides of the oatmeal container overlapping the seam by ¼”
- Attach the brim to the felt covered oatmeal container by hot gluing the turned-up pie sections to the inside of the oatmeal container opening.
- Slide the felt circle with the center cut out over the oatmeal container and glue to the top-side of the brim. Glue the whole fabric circle to the bottom of the hat brim
- Measure a piece of black satin ribbon around the base of the oatmeal container with an extra ½” to allow for an overlap and then hot glue it to the felt and covering any gaps between the felt around the brim.
For the Cat Ears and Tail:
- Cut two triangular shapes out of the pipe insulation tube and glue them to the sides of the top hat to make cat ears.
- Glue the finished hat to a top of a black plastic headband to make a top hat fascinator.
- Use the remainder of the black pipe insulation foam tube to fashion the cat’s tail and using a safety pin, fasten it to the back of your waistband.
Add these pieces (the collar, cuffs, hat, and tail) and black gloves (I found black gardening gloves) to an all black outfit to complete your Arista-Cat costume.