Winter Stay-cation Party: Tropical Destination – The Caribbean
To have some fun in the sun without a sunburn, you can have a tropical stay-cation destination themed party! This one is inspired by the Caribbean and features easy frozen cocktails, pineapple shrimp skewers, and shrimp ceviche!
Parrot Bay frozen pouches come in three different flavors (Mango Daiquiri, Strawberry Daquiri, and Pina Colada) and are the easiest way to make frozen cocktails. You can layer the beverages with alternating flavors for an added touch–the Strawberry Daquiri and Pina Colada alternating is a great holiday beverage with the red and white layers. You can even set up a Make Your Own garnish bar with fresh fruits and skewers for your guests to garnish their own drinks! Setting up these drinks only requires these three steps:
- Freeze the drinks overnight.
- Pour into a daquiri glass.
- Garnish with fresh fruit skewers.
Pineapple Shrimp Skewers
These skewers are a little sweetness and a touch of heat–one bite later you’ll be savoring the taste of the tropical islands! The recipe below makes 12 skewers.
- 6 tablespoons Italian dressing
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1.2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 24 uncooked cleaned medium shrimp
- 12 fresh pineapple chunks, approximately 1 inch
- 12 skewers
- Heat the grill (or if it is too chilly outside – preheat the broiler)
- Mix the first six ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended and add shrimp and pineapple to the mix, toss to coat.
- Thread 2 shrimp and 1 pineapple chunk onto each of the 12 skewers.
- Grill (or broil 6 inches from the heat) for 4 to 5 minutes of until shrimp turn pink.
Shrimp ceviche is the perfect tropical dish for seafood lovers! The recipe below serves 4.
- 2 ½ tablespoons superfine white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chili paste or sauce
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 1 ripe tomato, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 pound very fresh medium-small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 avocados, halved
- In a large glass or plastic bowl, dissolve the sugar, salt, and chili paste in the lime juice.
- Season with pepper and cumin.
- Stir in the garlic, onion, tomato, jalapeno and cilantro.
- Gently mix in the shrimp and then cover. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- To serve, drain the excess liquid from the shrimp.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes and serve in avocado halves.
All décor should be designed in a tropical color pallet; lime green, aqua blue, sea foam green, lavender and red hibiscus. This will add color to your home and make you feel as if you really were on a tropical island.
- MYO Luminaries – Give your tropical stay-cation a warm flickering glow with luminaries.
- Gather small paper bags in various tropical colors and place a votive holder with a tea light in to the bag. The light from the tea light will diffuse through the bag creating a soft light that illuminates the room. You can even decorate the bags with punches or cut outs to allow a bit more light to shine through.
- Fruit Centerpieces – To add splashes of color, fill glass vases with whole fruit, oranges, limes, lemons, bananas. Top the vase with a pineapple to create your own palm-tree!
- MYO Leis
- Purchase flowers from your local flower shop or nursery; plumeria, orchids, hibiscus, and gardenia are best. Thread a needle with string or finishing line and thread flowers onto the string by pulling a needle through the center of the flowers. Repeat until you have the desired amount of flowers on the string and then tie the ends together to create a lei.