Composting in the City
Nature Mill – Composting Made Easy!
Living in New York City can be a tough place to execute more extensive recycling programs. True, most everyone I know recycles, but those same friends do not compost, reduce, or reuse. I found a really great way to get composting started in the Big City via Nature Mill’s Pro Composting Box. This product is not only easy-to-maintain but it’s also incredibly stylish within the industry of recycling components.
Compost is organic material that can be used as a soil amendment or as a medium to grow plants. Mature compost is a stable material with a content called humus that is dark brown or black and has a soil-like, earthy smell.
Natural composting, or biological decomposition, began with the first plants on earth and has been going on ever since. As vegetation falls to the ground, it slowly decays, providing minerals and nutrients needed for plants, animals, and microorganisms. Mature compost, however, includes the production of high temperatures to destroy pathogens and weed seeds that natural decomposition does not destroy.
Did You Know That Composting Can…
- Suppress plant diseases and pests.
- Reduce or eliminate the need for chemical fertilizers.
- Promote higher yields of agricultural crops.
- Facilitate reforestation, wetlands restoration, and habitat revitalization efforts by amending contaminated, compacted, and marginal soils.
- Cost-effectively remediate soils contaminated by hazardous waste.
- Remove solids, oil, grease, and heavy metals from stormwater runoff.
- Capture and destroy 99.6 percent of industrial volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) in contaminated air.
- Provide cost savings of at least 50 percent over conventional soil, water, and air pollution remediation technologies, where applicable.
With all that you now know about the great benefits and how easy it is… don’t you think you should start composting today? I do…!
Eco Clean., a NEW line of eco-friendly cleaning products from Denmark.
As much as things to be clean, the noxious odor of cleaning products is enough to make me sick. That is, until I realized that I don’t have to offend my olfactory receptors (my nose) to get my home guest-ready.
I was recently asked to try an eco-friendly glass cleaner from Eco Clean. Loved it! Not only does it make everything sparkle and shine… it smells of white tea & sage.
There are three other great cleaning products in the line that I would recommend giving a try;
ALL PURPOSE with spicy lavender
BATHROOM with lavender and mint
KITCHEN COUNTER with orange and rosemary
Eco-Clean home cleaning products are:
- Good for the eco-system and the people who use it
- Non Toxic – no toxic fumes or gases released upon contact with water. Safe to use around children and pets
- Works as well as traditional cleaners
- Amazing fragrances that are allergy-friendly
- Special foam option nozzle that minimizes vapors
- and… Beautiful packaging
It is going to be awfully hard to find a cleaning product that is as pleasant and effective as Eco Clean’s Glass Cleaner. The act of cleaning is now a joy again! OK, I’m getting carried away…
Available at Duane Reade.
As Earth Day blows out 40 candles today (smokeless, scentless bio-degradable candles.. of course!), I wanted to showcase a few items that are a perfect match for an eco-friendly birthday. Often times with organic or eco-friendly products, user have to sacrifice either a beautiful design or reasonable price to have a first-rate eco product. However, these next three items are sure-fire winners in the eyes of the eco-aware.
I often find myself not amused by having to eat with silver cutlery when I’m eating out, camping or just too lazy to open the silverware drawer. And plastic cutlery doesn’t serve me any better. It often breaks, cracks or the knife proves itself useless against the almighty power of the chicken breast.
So imagine my delight when I came across Bamboo Veneerware’s Bamboo Dinnerware They are made with 100% bamboo – which, as you know is a highly durable and sustainable material. Set includes flatware and chopsticks which are heat- and stain-resistant, safe to use on non-stick surfaces and won’t impart or absorb flavors.