The 1970′s have been known as The Disco Decade, the decade of peace signs and flower power! The Vietnam War dragged on into the seventies and war protests continued. However, on April 30th, 1975, the longest war in American history ended. Inflation and unemployment soared the later part of this decade. This decade is remembered for the Watergate Scandal and Vietnam War. The nation was desperate to find a leader to give confidence back to the people. It was a decade of hope and dreams!
During this time, Billy Bush was born on October 13th, 1971. During this time Billy was living in New York. His mother cooked dinner every night, so I was inspired to do some of the classic homemade dishes, Chicken Pot Pie and Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes, his mother served with a fun twist of making everything miniature. During the 70′s, the Creamsicle was a huge fad, so I used that to inspire the 70′s cocktail.
Mini Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
1 ½ cup finely chopped onion
1 celery rib, chopped fine
1 carrot, chopped fine
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ cup Ketchup
1 ½ pounds of ground chuck
¾ pound of ground pork or veal
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 large eggs, beaten slightly
¼ cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large heavy skillet cook the onion, garlic, celery rib, carrot in butter over medium heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Cover the skillet and stir occasionally until the carrots are tender, about 5 more minutes. Stir in salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and ¼ cup Ketchup. Cook for 1 more minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the meats, eggs, vegetables, breadcrumbs, and parsley. Scoop the mix into mini loaf pans, top off with Ketchup and bake for 45-60 minutes.
2 lb. baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 tbsp. butter
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain.
- In a small saucepan heat butter and milk over low heat until butter is melted. Using a potato masher or electric beater, slowly blend milk mixture into potatoes until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To Make the Meat Loaf and Mashed Potatoes:
- Slice the mini meat loaf into halves.
- Top with a dollop of mashed potatoes
- Sprinkle with chopped chives
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
3 cans Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup
2 packages of Grand Biscuits
2 9 inch unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Using a mini muffin pan, fill the pans with unbaked piecrusts for 10 minutes.
- After allowing the pie crusts to cool for a few minutes, scoop the cream of chicken soup onto the baked piecrusts.
- Top with biscuit dough sealing the edges.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Using small votive candle holders, fill 1/3 of the way.
- Cut the carrots, blanched asparagus and red peppers into bite sized sticks.
- Fill the votive with the veggie sticks and serve.
1 oz. vanilla vodka
½ oz. triple sec
half and half
- Pour the vodka and triple sec into a mixing glass filled with ice.
- Fill with equal parts of orange juice and half and half.
- Shake well.
Strain into a highball glass filled with fresh ice.
1970′s Inspired Playlists
Here is a great playlist to get your party guests enthralled into the 1970′s.
- Disco Inferno – The Trammps
- The Hustle – Van McCoy
- Stayin’ Alive – Bee Gees
- Shake Your Booty – The Hit Crew
- Bad Girls – Donna Summer
- Ladies Night – Kool & The Gang
- Turn the Beat Around – Vicki Sue Robinson
- Le Freak – Chick
- Don’t Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston
- Knock on Wood –Amii Stewart
- If I Can’t Have You – Yvonne Elliman
- Hustle It – The Hit Crew
- Burn Baby Burn –Disco Inferno
- Rock Freak – GQ
- Toot Toot Beep Beep – Donna Summer
- Do the Boogie – FatBack
- Shake, Shake, Shake – KC & The Sunshine Band
Nov 04, 2011 | Categories: Culinary Curiosity ®, Party Engineering ® | Tags: 1970's, bad girls - donna summer, bake, baking potatoes, blanhced asparagus, Boil, breadcrumbs, burn baby burn - disco inferno, butter, Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup, carrot, carrots, celery rib, chicken pot pie, cocktail shaker, creamsicle, Disco, disco inferno - the trammps, do the boogie - fatback, dont leave me this way - thelma houston, Eggs, fahrenheit, flower power, garlic, ground chuck, ground pork, half and half, highball glass, hustle it - the hit crew, if i cant have you - yvonne elliman, ketchup, knock on wood - amii stewart, ladies night - kool & the gang, large bowl, le freak - chick, mashed potatoes, meatlof, milk, mini muffin pan, mixing glass, onion, orange juice, parsley, peace signs, Pepper, pie crusts, pot, ranch dressing, red peppers, rock freak - gq, Salt, Salt and Pepper, Shake, shake well, Shake your booty - the hit crew, skillet, stayin' alive - bee gees, the hustle - van mccoy, toot toot beep beep - donna summer, tripple sec, turn the beat around - vicki sue robinson, Vanilla Vodka, veal, votive holders, war protests, worcestershire sauce | Leave A Comment »
The 1980′s was a decade of excitement. It was a decade of speaking out and fighting for what you believe in.
It was also an age where people found interest in debates, and solving problems.
During the 1980′s, Billy Bush was going to St George’s Academy in Newport, RI where he played Lacrosse and Hockey for his school. I was inspired to take a few of America’s favorite foods found in the cafeteria of any school and turned them into miniature snack bites with a 80′s inspired signature cocktail from the icon candy, The Astro Pop.
Pac Man and Cheese
4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
½ cup sour cream
4 tbsp. butter, cut into pieces
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 35o degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once you have the macaroni cooked and drained, place in a large bowl and while still hot and add the cheddar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add to the macaroni mixture.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Top with additional cheese if desired.
- Chill macaroni and cheese in the refrigerator overnight.
- Cut into pieces using a round cookie cutter.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large heavy duty Dutch over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dredge each circle in flour then egg, and then coat with bread crumbs.
- Fry for about 1 minute on each side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels before serving.
Truffle Tater Tots
1 large bag frozen tater tots
- Follow the instructions on the back of the package to bake the tater tots.
- Sprinkle with truffle salt.
- Heat the oven to the temperature as instructed on the frozen pizza.
- Using fun shaped cookie cutters, cut the frozen pizza into small pieces.
- Bake as instructed.
Astro Pop Cocktail
1 oz. Absolut ® Raspberri vodka
1 oz. sweet and sour mix
½ oz. grenadine syrup
½ oz. Blue Curacao liqueur
1. Add vodka and sour mix into a tumbler with ice to chill.
2. Shake ingredients and pour in a large shot glass.
3. Use Grenadine and allow to sink to the bottom of the glass (pour slowly
down the inside of the glass)
4. Allow Blue Curacao to sink to the middle of the glass (it will sit on top of the
grenadine if poured slowly down inside of the glass)
5. The finished product will be red, blue, then white from the bottom to top.
1980′s Inspired Playlist
Here is a great playlist to immerse your guests in the 80′s theme.
1. Rick Springfield – Jesse’s Girl
2. The Bangles Walk – Like an Egyptian
3. Belinda Carlisle – Heaven Is a Place on Earth
4. UB40 – Red Red Wine
5. Starship – Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now
6. Daryl Hall – Kiss on My List
7. Steve Winwood – Higher Love
8. Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
9. Kool & the Gang – Celebration
10. Boston – Amanda
11. Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
12. David Bowie – Let’s Dance
13. Simple Minds – Don’t You (Forget About Me)
14. Escape Club – Wild, Wild West
15. INXS – Need You Tonight
16. Olivia Newton-John – Physical
17. Phil Collins – Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)
18. Lionel Richie – Truly
Nov 04, 2011 | Categories: Party Engineering ® | Tags: 1 minute, 1980's, 2 inches, 350 degrees, absolut, add, additional cheese, against all odds, amanda, America's, Astro Pop, bag, bake, beaten, before serving, belinda carlisle, Billy Bush, blue, blue curacao, boston, bread crumbs, butter, cafeteria, cd, celebration, cheddar, cheese, circle, cone, cooked, cyndi lauper, daryl hall, david bowie, don't you forget about me, Dredge, dutch, egg, escape club, eurythmics, everything '80s, excitement, favorite foods, flour, Frozen, frozen pizzas, fry, Golden Brown, grated, grenadine, heat, heaven is a place on earth, heavy duty, higher love, Hockey, hot, icon candy, ingredients, inside, Inspired, instructions, interest in debates, INXS, jesse's girl, kiss on my list, kool & the Gang, Lacrosse, large bowl, large shot glass, let's dance, like an egyptian, liqueur, mac and cheese, macaroni, middle, milk, mini, mini pizzas, miniature snack bite, mix, need you tonight, Newport, nothing's gonna stop us now, Olivia Newton John, overnight, pac man, pac man and cheese, package, paper towels, phil collins, Physical, pizzas, pour, rasberri, red red wine, refrigerator, Rhode Island, rick springfield, round cookie cutter, Salt, School, separate, Shake, shaped cookie cutters, side, signature cocktail, simple minds, slowly, solving problems, sour cream, sprinkle, St George's Academy, starship, steve winwood, sweet and sour, sweet dreams, syrup, tater tots, temperature, the bangles walk, time after time, top, truffle, truffle salt, truffle tater tots, ub40, Vodka, wild, wild west | Leave A Comment »