1.Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Lightly salt the beef pieces. Working in batches if necessary, add the beef (do not crowd the pan, or the meat will steam and not brown) and cook, without stirring, until nicely browned on one side, then use tongs to turn the pieces over.
2. Continue to cook in this manner until all sides are browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
4. Add beef stock, Guinness, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, potatoes, onions, carrots and corn.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer for 40 min, stirring occasionally.
6. Simmer uncovered until until liquid thickens (additional 15 -20 minutes) and discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off any fat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Transfer stew into individual serving sized ramekins.
8. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the shape of a shamrock in one of the pie crusts (optional) and cover the stew with crust just over sides of the ramekins to seal the pies. Place the shamrock cut-out on top of the the pie.
9. Add a few drops of green food coloring into a beaten egg yolk and brush the shamrock with the green egg wash.
10. Bake in 400 degrees Fahrenheit until crust is browned (8 – 12 mins.)